Hamsters love to have all the delicious and yummy fruits and vegetables in its platter. So you have already gotten the response from your question can hamsters eat blueberries? You are already aware of the fact that hamsters always show increased fondness for nutritional fruits and vegetables. However, when it comes to blueberries, its enthusiasm transformes into excitements. Tune on to this article to know much about its food preferences.
Can Hamsters Eat Blueberries: The Benefits
Your hamster is the dearest sweet old pet. You probably became attached to him the day you brought the pet home. Both young and old can easily have an exciting time with this cute little companion. So it is quite natural that you would be greatly concerned about offering quality foods to satisfy his appetite. There are many nutritional food options available for your lovely hammy. You can serve it with small slices of fruits like apples, pears, mangoes, and blueberries. Make sure that you won’t over do it though. Always introduce new foods with caution and start only with a little amount. You may start with 1 or 2 blueberries at the time. Moderation is always a key as well. Don’t feed your hamster blueberries all day long.
Some Useful Facts About Blueberries
Blueberries are now becoming increasingly popular all over the world because of the numerous health benefits that they will provide. These benefits mainly include the following mentioned below:
- Providing full antioxidant support for the body: There are several antioxidants present in this fruit that can help with the effective development of the immune system of the human body. It helps with the free movement of muscles as well as motor coordination of nervous system as well. When older people are consuming blueberries, they can reduce the chance of neurodegenerative diseases too. Blueberries also protect the digestive tract as well as minimizing the scope of cancer.
- Cardiovascular Advantages: Recent study has found that regular intakes of this fruit can help to protect the blood components from the damage of the oxygen that can result in the permanent blockage of the blood vessels. It also protects the cell lining in the walls of the blood vessels. It prevents the formation of cholesterol and lowers the thickness of fat present in the heart. People having a high blood pressure can eat this fruit to lower the pressure greatly.
- Eye health: The retina of our eyes is more susceptible to oxidative stress. Regular intake of blueberries can minimize this scope to a significant extent. The phytonutrient antioxidants present in the fruit protect the retina from the oxygen damage. This fruit is also useful for protecting the retina of animals from oxygen damage as well.
- Cognitive Benefits: Consumption of blueberries also improve cognitive features like memory and recalling of past incidents quite easily. Lab research on animals suggests that this fruit plays a significant role in improving the functions of the nervous cells in their bodies.
- Cancer prevention benefits: Intake of blueberries may reduce the small intestinal cancers, esophageal cancer, colon cancer and breast cancer. They are also useful in reducing tumor in the cells and other tissue systems of the body. Regular consumption of blueberries can be quite useful in preventing the occurrence of such deadly diseases.
It is enough now to make you realize that you have committed no mistake for selecting this fruit as a diet item for your hamsters.
Choosing And Storing Blueberries For Your Cute Hammy
Always select blueberries that are strong, have whitish bloom with uniform and lively hue color. Only purchase blueberries when they move freely in the shaking container. If they do not move when the container is shaken, they are most likely moldy, damaged and soft. Avoid buying berries that have water inside. Before storing these fruits in the refrigerator, cover them with a container. Before presenting blueberries to your hammy, wash the fruit. If you wash it in advance then it would get a decay because of the removal of bloom.
Foods That Should Be Avoided
Never feed your hammy sticky foods. It would affect its cute little teeth. Don’t serve too many sweet candies because of high sugar levels which can increase the chance of diabetes in your pet. Do not feed him meat regularly. It can affect its digestive system and cause him to suffer from stomach pain.