Can rats eat chocolate or is it toxic for them? If you have ever wondered if your rat is allowed to consume chocolate, you have come to the right place. This article will provide you the answer to this question.
Can Rats Eat Chocolate And In What Amounts?
Yes, rats can eat chocolate without any further problems. Although chocolate is not harmful for rats, you should only give you rat this ingredient in moderation. A chip of dark chocolate or milk chocolate once in a while does not put them in harm’s way. Still, do not make chocolate a regular snack. So, chocolate fits under the “to be eaten in moderation” category when it comes to rats. As previously stated, it’s not toxic for rats but it can lead to obesity. Getting fat can also lead to other health problems and eventually death.
When your rat has respiratory issues, a bit of chocolate can help it deal with the problem and get over it.
Keep in mind that you should keep your rat away from fattening products, such as candy, fast food, rich cakes and all products rich in sugar. You should make it more of an occasional snack, not an everyday/every week snack.
What Other Foods Should I Give My Rat?
Rats do not have many interdictions when it comes to food. Usually, if it is good for you, it is good for them as well. On the other hand, some foods should only be consumed in moderation by rats, while humans can eat as much as they want.
Here is a list of foods good for your rat:
- Peanut butter – creamy or chunky, it does not really matter. This childhood food is heaven for rats.
- Fruits and veggies – most of the fruits and veggies are good for rats. Dried corn and avocados should be consumed in moderation though.
- Soy – soy is great for female rats because it actually prevents cancer.
- Rat lab blocks – specially made for you rat, they contain minerals and vitamins vital for you rat’s overall health. You can look for blocks with protein. When purchasing these protein blocks, make sure they do not go over the 16%-18% range. For pregnant female rats and their pups not older than 13 weeks, you should aim for 22%.
- Low sugar and fat cereals – rats like to chew a lot, so you can always give them some cereals to chew on. Make sure the cereals are low in sugar and fat. Rats are prone to getting obese really fast which can lead to other health issues that you do not want. Make this more of an occasional snack.
What Foods Should I Never Feed My Rat?
There are a few products that can cause your rat troubles. These foods are:
- Blue cheese – the mold in blue cheese is poisonous and ultimately lethal
- Green bananas – they slow down digestion
- Oranges – the d-limonene in oranges can affect male rats by leading to kidney cancer
- Potato eyes and greet potato skins – they contain a compound which is toxic
- Raw onion – it can lead to anemia or stomach problems
- Raw sweet potato – it contains a substance that disintegrates the thiamin. You can give it to your rat only when cooked.
- Raw peanuts – they have high amounts of fats and should be consumed in moderation after they’re previously roasted. Before roasting, they have the same effect as raw dry beans.
- Raw dry beans – They have a substance that chumps the red blood cells. You can either cook them or buy them canned.
- Wild insects – these might contain parasites that could be transferred on your rats.
- Rhubarb – the big amounts of oxalates prevent the use of calcium
There are also some foods that should be consumed in moderation. Once in a while, it can be good for them but not on a daily basis, regardless of the quantity you choose.
Here is a list of the foods that should be consumed in moderation:
- Peanut butter – although they like it, there are some brands that can get very sticky. Make sure your peanut butter does not have this issue before feeding your rat.
- Carbonated drinks – before giving your rat any carbonated drink, remember that rats can’t burp.
- Dried corn – some may contain fungi, leading to liver cancer. Opt for fresh corn if necessary.
- Avocados – they are extremely rich in fat and should be consumed by rats dealing with underweight issues. For rats inside the normal parameters, small quantities will not harm them. Remove the skin, the pit and the flesh near the pit because they are toxic.
Overall, rats don’t have many restrictions and if you follow these guidelines, your pets should not have any health issues.